Your dental team will first check your teeth and gums, and talk to you about any treatment you need. The main aim is to help you get your mouth really healthy. In a healthy mouth it is unlikely that decay or gum disease will continue to be a problem.
• The dental team will thoroughly remove all plaque and tartar from your teeth. This is often called a 'scale and polish'.
• The dental team will show you the best ways to brush, and how to clean in between your teeth using interdental brushes or floss, to remove the bacterial 'plaque' which forms constantly on your teeth. When you eat or drink something sugary, the bacteria in the plaque turn the sugar into acid, which may cause tooth decay. Plaque can also cause gum inflammation (swelling and soreness) if it is not regularly and thoroughly removed. The hard tartar (or 'calculus') which builds up on the teeth also starts off as plaque.
• You will be told which oral care products are the best ones for you to use.
• The dental team will probably talk to you about your diet, and any habits you have such as smoking and drinking.
• Your dentist will also make sure that all your fillings are in good condition and that there are no rough edges to make cleaning difficult.